First Timer’s Guide To Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
Welcome to Kicking Horse Mountain Resort. It’s important to all of our resort staff that we’ve ensured from the time you’ve arrived, until the time you go home, you have had an amazing RCR experience!
Whether this is your first time visiting our mountain or you’ve loved it so much you had to return, the following tips from our mountain regulars will set you off on the right course!
Ask an Expert
If you’re looking for the best runs, an abundance of resort history and/or you feel a little lost, check-in with our Guest Services team! They know everything and they’ll show you how to make the most of your day on the hill!
How to Dress
“Dress for the mountains!” Mountain weather can change significantly throughout the course of the day so always remember to dress warm!
You can’t visit Kicking Horse Mountain Resort without trying one of the awesome options available. Make sure you check these out before you leave our resort:
- Grizzly Bear Refuge – Learn about our resident Grizzly Bear Boo and enjoy a scenic chairlift to our 22 acre enclosure mid-mountain
- Gondola Sightseeing & Hiking – Take the gondola up to 7700 ft and view the breathtaking vistas and maybe hike along a ridgeline or two.
- Eat at the Highest Restaurant in Canada. No visit to Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is complete unless you’ve had lunch at the Eagle’s Eye Restaurant where you can enjoy a tasty lunch or beverage with breathtaking views.
Best value for your money is to get the Adventure Pass Sky Lunch Package! This package combines all three of Kicking Horse Resorts greatest offerings. Book online or call 1.866.SKI.KICK for more information.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Bike Park
First time here? Never been lift accessed Mountain Biking before?
There are lots of options for any level of rider but it is easy to get in over your head! Please read about Mountain Safety before riding our trails.
We want you to have a fun, safe day and not scare yourself. This list is to help you progress through a level of trail that best suits you. Please warm up and get to know your way around. A GREEN or BLUE trail still presents lots of challenges and are fun even for the advanced rider.
Please be advised that there are no EASY trails here.
The GREEN designated trails are the “easiest” we can offer, and may still be considered “hard” to beginners.
The Catamount Chair (open daily) is where you want to be!
The Gondola (open daily) is for Intermediate to Advanced riders only!!!
Start with these and see how it goes…
#1 It’s a 10: Wide dirt road
#24 Lower Kranky Pants to #11 Easy Rider: Mostly wide trail with smooth berms, wide boardwalks and some singletrack
If those trails seem OK, move up to these…
#4 Super Berm: Wide, machine built trail with big berms and small jumps. A short section contains wide wood features such as bridges and wall rides.
#5 Buffalo Jump: A short, machine built trail with tighter corners and steeper pitches than Super Berm.
If you feel VERY comfortable on these trails, only then should you consider heading up the Gondola.
Remember, only YOU CONTROL YOUR SPEED!
ALWAYS STAY IN CONTROL, pump your brakes, look ahead and take it easy!
Must Eat Food
You gotta try our local’s favourite eats:
- Daily homemade cinnamon buns, muffins, cookies, cakes and scones at the Slopeside Cafe.
- Wild Boar Poutine and Elk Burger at the Eagle’s Eye Restaurant
- Goat Cheese Bison Meatballs at Corks Restaurant and Wine Bar
Did You Know?
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has the following services:
- Five places to enjoy a meal and beverage on mountain including the mountain top Eagle’s Eye Restaurant at 7700 ft
- Day Lockers available for a charge
- Fully equipped tune-up and repair shop in the Performance Rental Centre
- Performance Rental Centre and General Store for all your shopping needs
- Discovery Centre for those looking for their dream home