2018 Canadian Mountain Running Championships
The Canadian Mountain Running Championships will be hosted at Kicking Horse Resort in Golden, BC, on Saturday, June 9, 2018.
The event will be hosted at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort in Golden, BC.
Package Pick-up – Yurt located by kids pump track. (8:30 am – 9:30 am)
Start – 10 km events start by the bottom of the gondola. 5 km events must upload to the top of the chairlift (load no later than 9:30 am to be at start on time). 10:00 am
Finish – both events finish at the top of the Gondola. Finish line bags may be sent up the gondola – please make sure your bag is well marked with your name and on the gondola cart no later than 9:45 am.
Awards – Awards will be held at the top of the gondola at 12:30 pm.
DISTANCE AND ELEVATION GAIN
The open events will be 10 km in distance with 1050m elevation gain.
The junior/master events will be 5 km in length and with 600m elevation gain.
Course maps will be posted in early June.
The courses will be a mix of double track and single track. As there is often snow in early June at high elevation, expect the finish of the event to be cool and likely have snow in the area if not on the course.
Awards will be split into the following age groupings for both male and female. Awards will be given to all registered and the national champion title to only those who qualified (as per criteria below). This may result in two sets of awards/results.
Open – all comers
Junior – athletes born in 1999 and later (those who are 19 and under as of December 31, 2018)
Master – age on race day, categories 40-49, 50-59, 60-69 and 70+
Prize money will be awarded in the open categories as follows: 1st – $300; 2nd – $200, 3rd – $100.
Everybody is welcome to run in this event and everybody will start at the same time. There will be a “race within the race” for individuals who are competing for the national title and national team spots. To qualify to race in the official national championship event you must meet any (or more) of the following criteria:
- you have previously competed for Canada in Mountain Running or Cross-Country Running at the international level in the last 5 years (NACAC, Worlds or Commonwealth Championships)
- you have finished in the top three in your age group in a Canadian Regional Mountain Running Qualifying Series race:
- Eastern Qualifying Race: Xtrail Mont Sutton, June 2, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 6.5k, 11.8k or 22k races]
- Ontario Qualifying Race: TBA
- Prairies Qualifying Race: MEC Whitemud Creek, May 20, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 6k, 11k or 15k races]
- BC Qualifying Race: Loop the Lakes, May 19, 2018 [Note: racers can qualify for the Canadian Mountain Running Championships by finishing in the top three in their age group in any of the 8k, 15k or 21k races]
- you have run under 36 minutes (men) or 40 minutes (women) for 10 kilometres in 2017 or 2018 in a sanctioned road or cross-country race or any other equivalent race result.
For juniors and masters, there is broad discretion to allow athletes to qualify based on the various race distances. Any junior or master athlete can send their race times to the CMRA and they will consider whether they ought to be allowed to qualify for nationals without running a qualifying race.
Registration includes a lift tickets to get you to/from your start/finish from the base of the mountain. Registration is $50 until May 31 then $65. Waivers will be signed when you pick up your bib and race package on race morning. Please allow extra time to take care of this process.
Register online now through the Golden Ultra website.